Monday, July 4, 2022

Intense Heat

 The amenities were as lacking at the Alien Inn, as were the Aliens, plus I had to make do with the little packets of drywall paste that are sold to hotel as creamers. The rooms are in buildings similar to old ATCO Trailers, but the air conditioning and shower worked, and it was clean, and did not shake to bad when the amerikan air force was escalating the war on the environment by seeing how much Jet A it takes to break the sound barrier.

Atco Building

We fortified ourselves with Kaladi koffee, Cliff bars, and whatever was still edible that we were carrying, to get us going for our ride to Kanab Utah. It really was not even that far. Only 267 miles as the Google Map flies.

It was a spectacular morning heading southeast on highway 93. We actually passed a heavy semi-truck, and another pick up truck packing a big water tank, which might have been for some thirsty cows.

We stopped for fuel at I think a Shell station near Alamo Nevada. The local rock pigeons have taken over the pumps, and their shit was running down the pumps. I used paper towels to handle the nozzle. The yellow jackets or hornets as I like to call them had taken over the rubbish bin, the same rubbish bin I parked next to.

Yellow Jackets

I should have put some gasoline on the paper towels I was using, lit them on fire, tossed them into the rubbish bin, and burned the whole place down, but we still needed to pee, and I have no way of lighting a gas-soaked paper towel on fire. Maybe next time.

We dropped down out of the high desert, and into the low desert, and as we went down the temperature went up, so by the time we met up with I 15 at Mesquite Nevada the temperature was around 95 degrees. Well, no worries there was a little Mexican restaurant there, so we stopped for a bite to eat before our short run on the interstate.

Out on the interstate the speed limit was 75, but that is just a recommendation as most vehicles including massive semi-trucks were cruising at 85 or better. We settled in so everyone could pass us by and leave us all alone were nothing can hit us.

Little did I know that in just a few short miles the highway had one lane closed. This is probably the fault of the corporate dems. Infrastructure bill, but no matter who’s fault we were now faced with miles of stopped traffic in triple digit heat.

The only thing I could think of to do was to split the lane till the end of this mess, and that is exactly what I did. Much to my surprise my traveling compadre was right behind me, for most of the way till she got blocked by some cabron in an air-conditioned car.

I made it till the end and finally broke out on the two lane again. I just slowed down and waited for my pal to catch up, which she did, and we were soon on our merry way again.

Unfortunately, just a few miles ahead was another lane closure for this time a bridge repair. This time the lanes were so narrow that splitting was dangerous. I should have made for the paved shoulder but did not until almost the end, and by that time the bike was showing a temperature of 117.

Outside of being on a ride and having someone killed this was by far the worst day of riding ever, and one more reason that this in my last motorbike road trip.










 

 

 

 

\

No comments:

Post a Comment