Thursday, January 20, 2022

Boeing Home

 

Every once in a while, I hear a jet, look up and think, “Gee I’m glad I’m not on that plane” Well today I got to climb up in one of them for the ride back home. Yes, the weather is just to darn nice here in California Clear skies, temperatures up into the 60’s it made me miss below zero.

I took Ohms for a spin once her tires were all pumped up. The little motor company 12-volt pump did a good job. It even has its own little zippered case for stashing in the saddle bag, and an LSD light that might work well for signaling low flying aircraft. The pumps plug will only connect to the battery chargers two prong connector, so if you needed it on something that did not have that type of plug you could still have a flat tire. I just happen to have an adaptor from that plug to battery clips, so that is something I might consider tossing in the bike, but space is pretty limited.

My New Motor Company 12-Volt Tire Pump

I rode Ohms out to Woodside, then north on Canada Road. Canada road is not pronounced Canada here, its pronounced Can Yada with a squiggle over the N~. Putting the squiggle next to the N~ is as good as I can do on this computer. They also pronounce Valdez, Val deez here, and the weather in Whittier California is never as shitty as in Whittier Alaska.

Along the way riding along enjoying the day, a deer trotted out in front of me, and at  full speed  ran up the hill. The critter  was way more scared that me, and none of Ohms defensive measures, anti-lock brakes skid control or park on a hill even knew that a deer crossed the road. Really the only thing interesting about the deer crossing the road is, that it crossed very near Wiley E Coyotes mailbox.

Lots Of ACME Deliveries Here

The other thing of interest on the road with a ~ in its name is the Pulgus Water Temple.

Pulgus Water Temple

The temple served as the terminus of the infamous Hetch-Hetchy water system that takes the water from near Yosemite and brings it here so that San Francisco and the Peninsula has drinking water.

In the center of the temple, it used to feature the water streaming out of a huge  pipe and cascading over an ornate mosaic tiled basin. It was quite a spectacle, and a great place for young parents to hold their infants over the flow, determining if the child was worth keeping. For reasons I will never know,  I was kept.

That feature of course has long been blocked off with a grate, and clear plastic cover. The water does not even flow through there anymore as a new pipe takes it directly to the Crystal Springs Reservoir. There still is a short drop to test the nettle of children, but with out the water, what's the point? 

Back in the day however there were always rumors going around school of someone jumping in and swimming out to the lake, and in one case a footers ball player jumped and smashed his knee on the mosaic and could not play for the rest of the season. Oh Well.

 Out at the airport, Finally the long-awaited Alaska Airlines Lounge is open in the San Francisco terminal. The lounge has a nice long row of windows that looks out on the Alaska gates.

Inside The New Exclusive Alaska Lounge At SFO

You could sit there and watch your plane depart, I did not as I found the chairs at the window not very  comfortable, and I found some better seats over at the LSD firepit.                                                         


LED Firepit

The fireplace I think is very cool. You could sit and watch the fire and miss your plane. I did not but I did wonder about the vapor that are the simulated flames. Next time I'm going to find out just what they are.  

My flight was on time. We even arrived in the dreaded Seattle  airport, on time, and I did not even have to do  the famous Seattle  N-C shuffle as my flight to Anchorage was in the same terminal, I arrived in.

Since Seattle was so chaotic when I flew down for this trip, I found a flight that gave me  a couple of hours to spare here, and spent them in the N terminal Alaska Lounge, that does not have an LSD fireplace like The City but does have  hanging lamps shaped like Jet Engines.

 On board the rumors of no food and only one drink, did not seem to apply to where I was seated on the port side, row 4. 

Row 4 Service. The Nuts Were Not Warm!

 I cannot say what goes on further back, in the aircraft,  except that  through the thin curtain separating us from the crammed coach section,  there were large dogs barking, so perhaps the flight attendants had to deploy dogs to keep the crowd in line.

 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment