Saturday, August 13, 2022

Airport Marriott’s

 High Price Low Value

It was tough getting out of Wisconsin and Minnesota, and I hadn’t flown on Delta since their planes were propeller driven.

Lockheed Electra One Fine Airplane

  That Electra was way more elegant that the flying jet culvert that pulled up to the gate to take me to MSP Minneapolis Saint Paul.

The jet culvert was small,  It might have been able to fit inside the Electra. I was not sure if I could actually ride in it without having a claustrophobic panic attack, but I did not want to stay in Le Crosse either, so I climbed aboard, ducking so as to not hit my head and found my way all the way to the aft, to row 12.  Who knew planes even had a row 12, and row 12 is definitely not my normal row for air travel. Row 2 is my row, but at least this row had a 2 in the number.

I do not think I could have made it if the aircraft was full, but the friendly Delta staff in Le Crosse had seated everyone so as to only have one person in each row. Well except for the 4 people traveling together, they seated them next to each other.

This Is Our Plane Really!

Trying not to think about being locked in this culvert high above the earth I focused on the book I was reading Great Circle, by Maggie Shipstead. Great book!

Great Story And Just Happens To Be About Aviation.

Landing in MSP having never been there I had no idea what to expect.  MSP the airport is huge. Our culvert landed in Minneapolis, and I soon discovered that the baggage claim was in Saint Paul.

The nice thing about limping through a terminal that spans miles, is that my bag was the lone rider of the carousel once I found it.

Once I had my bag and trekked to the area where hotel shuttles pull in, I called the Airport Marriott so the shuttle could come and pick me up. It is the reason I picked this hotel. Its at the airport and has a shuttle.

I watched and waited as shuttles from every other hotel in Minneapolis and maybe some from as far away as North Dakota, pulled in and picked up their guests.  I waited for a while longer and called the hotel again to make sure I was in the correct spot. I was, and then I waited some more, watching more and more hotel shuttles make pickups. My shuttle still hadn’t come so I called again. I called four times before the Airport Marriott shuttle made its way to me. I think waiting for the shuttle took longer than the flight from LSE.

The ride to the hotel probably took less time than the wait for the shuttle, and there was traffic and a freeway involved. Now I probably still would have given the driver a tip, but he talked on his phone to his pal on the way to the hotel, and that was it, the price of this hotel is $$$, you made me wait, and now you are arranging parking for your pal. That fellow got no tip. And neither did the morning driver.

The hotel was nice enough. Its huge. But at least I found a trolley, so I did not have to pack my non roller bag.

The Cavernous Expanse Of The Airport Marriott

The hotel has a restaurant and bar, which was a plus since the hotel egg like substance I ate early in the morning had worn off. The room was nice enough, and clean.

The restaurant was ok. Nothing spectacular for a hotel in this price range. But better than my last restaurant experience at a Marriott in Seattle. The drinks were good.

The End Of A Long Day Of Travel

Now in the morning I arranged for the first shuttle ride to the airport, as my flight was departing at 6:00 am. The shuttle was ready at the arranged time, but the hotel offered nothing. No coffee, no bottle of water, nothing. I could not even get a receipt as the desk wasn’t open yet. At the  terminal the shuttle driver couldn’t get his gate opener to open the gate that would have let us into the drop off area. He did slowly back all the way out of the lane and took us to another spot at the terminal. 

But still  the high point of this hotel was looking out my fourth-floor window at the Ikea store across the way and knowing that everything in that place was custom made for the landfill.

Best Place Anywhere To Get Stuff To Toss Into The Landfill

Trudging up to the Alaska check in my phone alerted to a message, and wouldn’t you know it. It was from ASA, Alaska Airlines. Now I already knew there was no high-class lounge in MSP, I already accepted that, and accepted that I would have to mingle with people that rode in row 30 something at the gate.  I also knew that this message would not be good news.

Trudging to the check in I elected to ride on the moving isle way. I generally shun these, but my hip was making walking difficult. My phone alerted me to another message from ASA. This one saying my MSP departure was delayed for over 1 hour, ruining my chance for decompression in the ASA Seattle high class lounge and making the trek from gate C where we were landing to gate N where my connection to ANC was waiting impossible.

Checking in I explained to the very nice gate agent that because of the famous C to N shuffle in SEA my connection was now impossible.

She typed on her computer for a very long time, delaying my mingling with the back of the plane crowd. The first time she looked up at me, she gave me a look like “You have made that 10-minute C to N shuffle many, many times. Are you now the weakest link?

She said you could call ASA, so I did, the MVP line said the same as she, that we will see what happens.

What happened was that there was no crew. Apparently because of “FAA” rules Pilots must have a 10-hour rest between a measly 8-hour day.

All I can say is thank dog for Pilot unions, and the FAA.

Our crew was late but did finally arrive. The gate crew at MSP thanked the passengers for not beating them up. The agent checking boarding passes was the same woman that checked me in. She gave me a hug.

Not knowing what to expect I checked my app midflight, and low and behold, someone at Alaska did their work that day and moved our plane to the same terminal as the departing plane for ANC. And if that wasn’t enough, they held the departing plane so myself, and about 20 other travelers could make their connection.

Bravo Alaska Air.











 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment