Friday, July 15, 2022

Pretty Good River Ride

 

I think I knew last time when I parked OHMS for the winter, that if I did another motorbike road trip that it would be my last, well at least for a while.

Sitting on that interstate surrounded by semi’s all creeping along at 3 miles per hour, with the temperature on the bike’s thermometer indicating 113 I knew this was my last motorbike lower 48  road trip.

It is not like there have not been plenty of good times. There have been fantastic times, and roads, and places, and people. But triple digit heat, torrential downpours, and not having the reaction skills I had 20 years ago, are all deal breakers.

I traded OHMS back to the motor company’s outpost Pretty Good River H-D The deal was a wash, but I did not lose any money, I even negotiated for a ride back to Winona, and road in the outposts giant Dodge pickup.

Ancient Trees Distant Memories Heading  East

My first bike less day was spent packing and making flight arrangements, which proved to be a challenge, as my phone at the hotel did not have a strong enough signal to be able to use the available 4g phone data, leaving me the unsecured hotel Wi-Fi.  Fortunately my house mate was able to help via phone with flights out of Le Crosse to Minneapolis. A very helpful, and nice Alaska agent was able to get my flight changed from Sunday to Thursday, and even got me out of the bulkhead seat row 1 and into well decent seating, but pretty far back, in row 3. It is not the direct flight but through my least favorite sky carriage terminal the dreaded SEA.

The motor companies’ outpost because the very important manager who took my bike back forgot some critical paperwork that required a signature agreed after many, many, many text messages to send the giant dodge shop truck for me and take me to the airport, reassuring me that my keen negotiation skills are still intact, and saving me the cost of a Uber.

A Ride To LSE More Than I Expected From A Very Important Person

The LSE terminal is small. GEG is a giant compared to here, and after being on the road for a while it seems very sterile, completely tame, and nowhere where I ever thought I would be.

   When I arrive the delta sky carriage terminal is closed. Alas a free ranging TSA agent showed me a button on the counter, that if I pressed it an agent would appear. 

Press For Help

Sure, enough, she pressed it, and a agent did materialize.  The Delta man, a candidate for the nicest fellow in Minnesota, even fixed my known traveler number so I am pre check. I still had to pay $30.00 for my bag but  he told me that since I am going to ANC tomorrow that fee should cover my bag all the way home. I did not tell him that I was on Alaska to Anchorage and get two free bags anyway.











 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment