Friday, September 17, 2021

Rudderless

Arriving home, it was a treat to see friends I had not seen in months. Hugs were exchanged and espresso beverages drank.


Over Koffee we dove right into the complex problems facing our civilization, and even though I voted by absentee ballot for the experienced left leaning fellow for mayor, our city has been taken over by regressive fascists, who by ignoring the public health, covid cases are now higher than even during the first stage of the pandemic. Without mask mandates or any rules to help stop the spread of Covid, our hospitals are almost at capacity, and we are witnessing first-hand the regressive republican health  care plan of if you get sick just die.

Go To The Light

Well, I was not home long enough to remember what it was I did when I was home, and I was off again, this time with my housemate on a run to Spokane. Of course, getting there involved flying, and something about the ticket was weird.

My ticket said row 6B. Who knew there were even seats beyond row four, and I soon found out that they were not actual seats but narrow barely padded plastic lawn chairs that are stuffed in three abreast on both port and starboard.  These ‘seats’ appeared to get smaller and closer together the further back you went, where I assumed only cargo was stowed, but it was full of people. Obviously, the people that walk by you when you are sitting in row two. The moaning coming from the rear cargo section was hard to bear, but soon the noise of the jet engines overpowered those suffering   the joys of modern jet travel. To add to the absurdity my fruit and cheese tray was not served on China but handed to me, by a large woman pulling some type of cart that rammed into me repeated as the folks from I guess steerage were grabbing onto it trying to get anything they could get their hands on.

If that wasn’t bad enough when we finally reached Seattle the people that were sitting in the real seats, obviously had never traveled before and didn’t realize that when the door opened they were supposed to get up and actually  retrieve their bags that they stowed in the overhead ,and exit the plane, thus getting out of the way of the masses riding in steerage.

Free of the airplane we set about enjoying the food and beverage options of Spokane.  The Park Lodge is a standout for excellent food, and drink. 


Another wonderful place we frequented was The Peacock Room  in the historic Davenport Hotel. 

Fortified with food and drink and under warm sunny skies we headed to the little Spokane river for a kayak adventure.

Ready For The River

We only traveled a short distance when the green one became untethered and wanted to be an air ship instead of a boat. A quick stop and it was re-secured, where it stayed until we reached the river.

At the embarkation point my friends quickly got on the water leaving me to launch myself. I failed miserable at launching and was almost immediately in the river watching my boat turn on its side and sink. I had no idea how heavy a plastic kayak can be when filled with water. It was an effort to get it back on shore and flip over to drain. I think the thing must have held at least 50 gallons of river water.

On The Water

After my refreshing dip in the river, I carefully launched myself into the river current and we began our 31/2-hour journey on the Little Spokane River.

The river is not swift and only  had one gentle rapid, but I soon learned that with out a rudder you had better start paddling before the current swept you into the bank.

It was a momentous day on the water. There were no other mishaps. Great Blue Herons, turtles, green wing teals, mallards and a couple of mergansers were sighted. One merganser tired of seeing humans in its habit even took the lead for a while. It probably knew where the waterfall is.

 We had the river to ourselves till almost the pull-out dock. Our guide and hostess even made us lunch! Thank You Lynn!




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment