Monday, October 23, 2023

The Flat States

 

All of the New England States have hills, maybe even  some low-level mountains. None of the New England states have plastic bags at the market. Its bring your own. Which I do or buy a paper one which I don’t because I have no need of a paper bag.

I do have need of a plastic bag; I use them for refuse. I have some regular kitchen bags but if I can’t get the store plastic ones, I use them.

Well hello Ohio where if you buy two oranges, the bagger will put one orange each into a plastic bag. Oh, joy my plastic bag coffers are full again.

Ohio is a flat red  state  that has a pretty intense battle to be decided at the ballot box, and that is “Issue 1” Issue 1 if passes would affirm a woman’s right to choose what happens to her womb with a constitutional amendment.


The Old Right Wing Protect Your Rights While You Loose Them

If it doesn’t pass Ohio will become another regressive red state moving closer to fascism and making women closer to property.

I swear we are going to lose our democracy over the imbecilic kristian rights medieval  attempt to ban abortion and woman’s rights.

I saw more yes than no sighs so perhaps human rights will prevail.

Indiana, Illinois  Iowa  &  Nebraska all have one  thing  in common Corn and lots of it. Now this isn’t corn that you buy at the market.


Ready For Processing 

Having never been here in the fall and seeing the harvest of this commodity  is really something. Giant machines, Combines cut the stalks, pull off the ears, remove the corn, and put it in the hopper, and everything else gets chopped up and tossed out the back.


Harvest

Usually combines are green. But a small yellow one will do 

The corn is hauled to huge silos by just about any vehicle that can move.

Impressive Nebraska Mountain Of Corn

The products this corn is utilized for is just about endless. Ethanol, animal feed, high fructose corn syrup, and even corny jokes originate in these fields.

The chafe left behind on the fields is utilized too. Some is bailed up for silage, some is plowed right back into the field some is even left as a dining room for cows.  Industrial agriculture  is interesting stuff.

In Nebraska I had always wanted to check out the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument.


The Archway Going Out Over Interstate 80

I first rode under it way back in the 1990’s, and even stopped there a couple of years ago with a pal with the intention of going inside but it was closed. But this trip I knew I was going to see it. I even traveled on I 80 to enhance the experience.


Never A Loose Nail At The Hammer Motel

The arch is interesting and would be a great place for students of amerikan history. It is mostly life size dioramas of the toil of the Oregon trail. The most interesting exhibit for me was the radar gun pointed at east bound I 80, showing the speed of traffic. I was surprised as I watched most drivers were under or at the speed limit. Sure, didn’t seem that way on the way here.


Radar Window











 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment