Sunday, October 15, 2023

Erie Or Eerie


 With the parks in New Hampshire and Vermont shuttered for the season I head west transitioning  into New York. The weather is starting to swing into winter, and I pick up some rain showers then some heavy rain reminiscent of riding I-90 the turnpike a couple of years ago. As the vans massive wipers do their job, I think its nicer to be in here than out there.

Not knowing what to expect in a state that is normally associated with a massive city, I discovered The Glimmerglass State Park on the shore of  Lake Otsego. This park must be one happening places in the summer, as it has a massive sandy beach for swimming, complete with showers, picnic tables, and rooms you can rent for your special event.

Lake Otsego & The Parks Sandy Beach

The park itself was  the former estate of George Clarke who inherited 120,000 acres of American Property from his great grandfather Colonel George Clarke. He  probably needed the land more than anyone that might have been living there.

The campsites came with electricity, mine was mostly level. There was water available, and a sewer drain, and maybe best of all since the park was getting ready to close for the winter, the entire inventory of ice cream was being liquidated for $1.00 per ice cream bar. It still counts as exercise if you walk up to the camp store daily to get a ice cream.

Another nice spot I discovered is Cayuga in the finger lakes region.  Make sure to spell the name for the park reservation agent or you might end up in the wrong park. This time of year, this park was a peaceful place to stay a couple of days, but this is a large campground with 200 or so sites. Mine had electricity, that I was glad for as it has been cloudy and rainy for the past couple of days. Not the best days to charge batteries by solar.

On my way out of New York I encountered humans that have decided that the year 1802 is as far as they need to go.


Hell No Girls Don't Deserve  Shoes

Little does this fellow know that he ain’t going to heaven cuz his soul and the souls of his  horses  are now captured in my camera. I hope they don’t mess with the part of Ansel Adams brain that’s in there  too.

I cruised through Pennsylvania  mostly because it was raining. It rained so hard that it washed most of the bugs off the van with a name.  That was welcome as I could not find a wash that I could fit into.

Another reason to get through Pennsylvania was I wanted to get up to Lake Erie in Ohio and visit Garfield’s house. The presidents not the cat.

Garfield has been an interest ever since reading Candice  Millard's book Destiny  of the Republic.

Much of the book takes place right there along Lake Erie just a little northeast of Cleveland. 

Garfield's House 



The Well House

The site is run by the  National Park Service. To look is free. The buildings have been expertly preserved, and every artifact inventoried, and accounted for.

It was a great place to spend the afternoon, and even better that the pouring rain stopped about the same time as my arrival.

One Eerie Shrine

Maximum Eerie

















No comments:

Post a Comment