Sunday, September 17, 2023

Cranes, Crows, Swans & A Magpie Or Two

 

And a bonus mountain lion, and all along the road. Well the mountain lion was crossing a field, and turned to look at me. All I could think of is dang, that is one big cat.

With my charging system charged and working, there was nothing left to do than go north to Canada.

I backtracked just a short ways to pick up highway 95, and that is where I missed the perfect picture of the day.

It was a old frame of a barn, being held up by an ancient  crane.  This was National Geographic stuff. Liberal explores  deepest whitest Idaho.

Crossing the border was a breeze as usual. They no longer even ask if I know the Sizzling Hippie.

Canadians are so nice. People on the sidewalk or store isle  say hello and good morning like we used to do in Alaska. And even me I’m nicer. Instead of laying on my  horn at the two women from Alberta who  had apparently never pumped gas before, and kept staring at the pumps screen, and the cars gas cap, as if the gas would know where to go.

Come On This Isn't Hard Just Put In Cash And Go

 I just waited patiently  and when in my mirror  I saw a lady in a pickup that couldn’t get down the road because the van was blocking her, to accommodate her  I pulled ahead, to just mere centimeters from the bumper from Alberta.

I was headed for my first night not in amerika to Radium Hot Springs. I found a great RV park. Ridge View Resort. It’s  a bit on the high end,  but with  full hookups, and two huge pools, one inside, one outside,  and one hot tub on the inside too. Just being in the pools was worth it, and my batteries got another night plugged in.

Not having seeing Lake Louise for many years I headed in that direction figuring I could find a spot in the park and have a look see. Unfortunately, like some of our National Parks Lake Louise is being loved to death. It reminded me of going through Acadia National Park in Maine. Every car park was full. Staff in high visibility gear guided inbound traffic to the parks outbound. The only difference I noticed is that the Canadians made exceptions for motorbikes and had them park where they would fit.

There was no room at the park for me.

I thought I would try going up the road to Banff Park proper, and after paying a modest entrance fee I found a spot a few K’s up the road at a clean delightful camp with water and trash service, called Mosquito creek. Since it is late in the season the namesake mosquitos were gone.

Clear Water Mosquito Creek

Surprisingly one of my neighbors jumped in the shallow water. He didn't stay long.  I think they were cone heads which are not uncommon in these latitudes.

I must have got their early because about the time I was visiting with the neighbors the place was filling up. By morning there were vans parked  just about everywhere. I wonder how many paid the $18.75 fee.

I Guess I Understand Why It's A Popular Place

Even though the temperature got down the 30 outside when I got up in the morning the vans batteries on this our first dry camping adventure held up and indicated 85% in the morning. Driving out It got even colder and I noticed 22 as I exited the park.  How the thermometer remained in Fahrenheit I have no idea, but maybe Fords don’t do Celsius.

I think I can still get to Maine to see some fall colors, and maybe have a lobster, so it’s east out of the park and into Alberta. I hope I don’t encounter any more people that are mystified by gas pumps…











 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment