Sunday, November 27, 2011

Clean Safe Vital


She came over to my table the other morning at koffee. Dressed in insulated clothes. Two fellows in dark bibbie's watched the doors as she set down. I knew they were all heavy.
The patch on her jacket read Anchorage Downtown Partnership.
Now the partnership is sorta like the mob. Downtown business pay them to keep the downtown Clean Safe and Vital. They do a good job.
In the past I have done some favors, the kind only I could do, for the partnership, and from the look on her face, I was going to do another.
She opened her jacket and I could see she had several strands of Mardi Gras beads around her neck. Some had sparkling blinking snowflakes attached to them.
She removed a flashing strand of beads and handed them over to me.
We need someone to shoot our tree lighting ceremony tonight, she said. That someone is you. The beads are your press pass; they will get you all the way   back stage, beyond Candy Cane Lane. We will send Dropoff Andpickup to fetch you. Be ready by 5:00 p.m. sharp.  Oh and dress warm, its cold outside, she said as she got up to leave.
Candy Cane Lane Town Square Park

 It was just above 0 as Dropoff pulled into my drive. He opened his suicide door for me, smiled and said he had put the seat back up for me. Dulce I said as I entered his private cage. I knew I was in for a wild ride, epically since it has been snowing for days and the roads are rough, and resemble rutted frozen wagon trails.
Canisters of bear spray rolled across the floor as we made our way over the ruts. I was glad to get out across the street from the event.
The event was great fun. When I arrived the singers were all ready singing, and even though I am not much for Christmas songs the voices sounded wonderful, filling the air in Town Square Park


Singers Singing In The Cold

The hip-hop elves put on quite a show, but the crowd was waiting for Santa. He had been delayed because the reindeer were stuck in black Friday traffic coming in from Palmer.
He made it ok, and came in on a sled pulled by some frisky reindeer's, and some strong handlers.

Santa Comming In For A Landing

 The big  tree got lit with a little help from the audience.

It was a great evening, and didn’t involve any shopping on our newest holiday to consumerism, black Friday. 
Occupy Anchorage










No comments:

Post a Comment