Tuesday, August 31, 2021

The City

 

Well, the breakfast at the hotel that didn’t even provide coffee in the lobby was about as good as one could expect. Instead of the now famous Jimmy Dean Biscuits with egg and cheese, or the more gourmet Jimmy Dean Croissant, it appeared that the hotel attempted to make their own biscuit with lower quality ingredients than even Jimmy Dean uses. The taste and texture of their biscuit was pretty lousy and most of it ended up in the rubbish. At least the Jimmy Dean sausage has enough grease to make the biscuit palatable. Oh well I still had good coffee  and brewed us up another cup before loading up.

We gassed up and since we were on the Redwood Highway it only took a block or to, to find the south bound 101 ramp. After a few miles it was obvious that the plan of tackling big city traffic early on was a good idea, as traffic was light, and we only saw one crazy person whiz by in a Junker car that I thought couldn’t go as fast as it was going. The driver was smiling and waving as he flew past us. Somehow, we got ahead of  him, and when I least expected it he came screaming by us again, smiling, waving, and weaving in and out of traffic.  We obviously made another friend, now if only the Highway Patrol would friend him.

21-50

Popping out of the tunnel and rounding the corner with The Golden Gate and the City in your view is always spectacular, and this morning it was as spectacular as ever. Even better there wasn’t even any fog to chill us.

The Golden Gate From Sausalito

The traffic on 19th avenue was light and I thought about finding  Spikes Coffee Shop but then I noticed my traveling compadre was no longer behind me. Oh well I thought its sad to have traveled so far and now split up without even saying goodbye. But then I remembered I had given her the route with the address, and rather than have her track me down I slowed up and waited for her light to appear on the horizon.

There was room for both bikes in the garage at my mums, but they made me cook, and after months of cooking nothing but koffee and Jimmy Dean breakfast biscuits in hotel microwave ovens I had to wonder what to put on the menu.

 Everyone loved the Breakfast Croissants, and I got the plastic Jimmy Dean wrappers in the recycling before anyone knew.  I was back in one of my elements.

We had a great couple of days telling stories, doing errands, and catching up on laundry. My traveling compadre was getting very comfortable on the couch, and I figured maybe the only way to get rid of her was to put lamb on the menu. She only saw me pick some up at the market and she was ready to go.

Her plan was to run I-5 to southern California, and I figured the least I could do was get her pointed in the right direction.

We headed south on 280 through San Jose then on to 101 south to Gilroy the garlic capital

Finally Enough Garlic For Any Recipe

Gilroy was living up to its name as the garlic capital of the planet, and the rich fragrant scent of it filled the air. Trucks were delivering loads of garlic to the garlic factory, where what ever they do to garlic there they were doing it, and it sure smelled good.

We turned on to highway 152 that is still a two-lane road, with lots of traffic, and still has fruit stands, and the fields to support them.

The exit to Casa de Fruta loomed up a head, and that is my turnaround point. After much saying of goodbyes my traveling compadre headed east to the interstate and I headed west back to the peninsula, but I knew I hadn’t seen the last of her.    

 




 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment