Saturday, March 9, 2024

Not Looking For Winter

 

The easiest way to way to get to the crane’s  out of Spokane would have been to go east on I 90 and go through Missoula, Billings, and drop down into Nebraska at Rapid City, South Dakota. Maybe even visit a familiar hot spring or two, and that route would have worked great except the day I was leaving a storm was brewing on the mountain passes along the route. All the predictions called for feet’s of snow, traffic delays, icy conditions, pestilence, and just general mayhem.


A Lone Crane From Vancouver

Not wanting to encounter any of that I decided that I would take 395 south through the Palouse, cut over to Idaho in one of my least favorite towns Lewiston, and just mosey along  till I was done for the day.


Palouse Falls

It proved to be a great first day out, with some clouds, but mostly sun. I found a little RV park  in Grangeville with hookups as I needed to give the vans batteries a good charge. At the park office I was greeted by a super friendly Shepard puppy, that would have given the hook ups away for a few more scratches around his ears, but his mom ordered him to his bed, and charged me $50.00. She also told me that snow was expected tomorrow. That’s good news I thought. I also discovered that my winterization  of the van was a failure, because when I filled my water tank and turned on the pump, I discovered a small plastic filter on the pump had frozen and broken leaving the water to rust my skillet.


Time To Re Season

In the morning there was just a dusting of snow as was expected but the day was mostly sunny and getting through the capital of Boise was aa easy drive. For the evening, I pulled into a RV park in Mountain Home, and was not greeted by a dog, but was still charged $50.00 something dollars. The park did have a nice hot tub, and clean showers, and full hookups that I  only  used the electric, as I didn’t want to mess with a water or sewer hose in the morning.


It Was Just A "Dusting" Of Snow

The next morning, I was heading to Pocatello and I can’t remember exactly where I noticed the vans outside thermometer locked of 32 and the foreboding dark cloud ahead. Soon  the first flakes of winter wonder started falling. It wasn’t long until it was a full-on blizzard of wet snow. Fortunately,  the road was warm and it wasn’t really sticking so I kept moving along only passing one snowplow on this leg of the journey.

There was hardly any traffic so plodding along was fairly easy, and things didn’t get dicey till I tried to exit the highway at Pocatello and discovered that it was very slick on the off ramp. The van with a name tried to dance a little sideways, and as I was wondering what to do, I noticed that the light at the intersection I was approaching was green. Years of driving in snow all came together  at that moment and I did the only thing I knew to do. Crank the wheel back and point it in the direction you want to go, and floor it. The inner F350 of the van with a name came alive as I pressed the accelerator, and she responded like she was all wheel drive and chained up. I pulled into the filling station and filled her up with Ethyl. 

I called the local KOA from the filling station, and got no answer, so I made a reservation online. The camp was only a couple miles out of town so I carefully navigated that way. When I arrived, the place was dark and hadn’t been plowed. The camps were downhill and I thought if I went down there, I might never get out so I selected a spot right in front of the front door of the little A frame office most KOA’s have.

It wasn’t long until a little lady came out and asked me what I was doing there. I said I had a reservation and was off the road for the day. She told me that they were closed because of the storm, and power outage and she couldn’t accommodate me. I explained that the online reservation system took my money, and if she would refund it, I will be on my way. After several minutes of a meaningful exchange of thoughts and ideas she agreed that I could stay but would have to move to the side of the little A frame cabin office.

I moved along side of the building and spent a comfortable night with plenty of heat, and lights. I also checked the weather and learned that more snow was expected by 7:00 am. Needless to say I left extremely early around 4:30 and much to my surprise Pocatello doesn’t bronson, or dunleavy their snow , as all the main roads, well the ones I was on were all clear of snow and ice. The highway was dry so down the road I went.

Going into Utah I knew I would encounter snow going over the infamous Wasatch Range, but on highway 89 there was little traffic, and I passed my second plow of the trip. It  was either plowing the very edge of the road or edging the grass, anyway I went around.

Further along 89 there was snow on the highway and here I encountered , in the middle of nowhere, my first flashing highway sign that said “Chains Or  Snow Tires Required When Flashing”  I figured as much snow as I have been driving in, I must have snow tires so on I went, over another 8000 ft pass and around the massive summer resort of Bear Lake.

Crossing into Wyoming things got interesting. The road was covered in a salt, dirt, slush slurry that coated every imaginable  surface under the van, wouldn’t blow off at the truck wash, and generally took two days to melt.

Very Impressive Wyoming













 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment