Monday, October 9, 2023

Scuba Not Needed This Run

 

Leaving the Jeeps behind I headed down highway 16, which just so happens to be where the Mt. Washington Auto road is. It looked like the most popular attraction around, and not van accessable.

Highway 16 travels by Wildcat Mountain ski area, and the Glen Ellis Falls Scenic Area. The scenic area was living up to its name as the fall foliage was beginning to shine.

The Red's Are Spectacular

Scenic or not I was on a mission to do the Kanc (Kancamagus) highway again. I had rode it a couple of years ago on motor a bike, and it was raining so hard that trip,  that the bikes Self Contained Breathing Apparatus  (SCUBA) deployed. On the plus side we both received medals from the Motor Company for taking a photo, holding up a soggy motor company magazine cover, while standing next to our bikes parked by the sign that said Kancamagus Highway.

None of that was necessary today. The giant windscreen wipers were never deployed nor was the air conditioning. It was a beautiful day, with the foliage showing some good color.


Kinda Pleasant Here When Its Not Pouring

It was the weekend though and all the vistas, picnic areas, trail heads, were jammed packed with cars. There was no way to get the van into any pullout. I had passed a campground on the east side of the pass, so I was watching for a camp on the west side. I pulled in when I spotted a Forest Service camp thinking I might stay, but then thinking the place was most likely full.

What I found was a 50 some unit Hancock Forest Service camp that was mostly deserted. The camp host said I could have just about any spot I wanted.  What I wanted was either a phone signal or firewood, and Hancock offered neither, leaving me if I stayed nothing to do except write more Blogs, and we all know how well that’s working out….

Apparently, all those people whose cars fill up all the spots, all stay in the Lodges, and Hotels in town.

I motored into Lincoln and found a restaurant where they cooked my food, and I didn’t have to. Nor did I have to do  any cleanup!  Then the Maple Haven RV Resort, that had a pretty level spot, power & water if I wanted it and some darn good Maple Ice cream, made right there in the back room of the office.


No One Is Picking Up The Post Anymore
















No comments:

Post a Comment