Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Viva La France

 

I spent the night in Tiny Village RV park near Deep river. The park itself is situated on the Ottawa river and has a beautiful sandy beach to play in the water if you wanted. No one wanted but some were playing volleyball or just sitting and watching the river flow.

Lots of kids were running every which way, hanging from the low branches of trees, chasing each other around. Some fellow had on a baseball game. It was a happening place. Around dark the kids vanished, but the adults kept making noise well past the quiet time of 10.00.

The noise didn’t bother me to much I shut my windows, and really never heard much more, and of course when I left around 7:00 I was extra quiet as to not disturb the neighbors. I can’t help it if the vans big back doors have to be shut firmly.

It got foggy again this morning, a little ways east of Deep River, and it lingered for 45 minutes or so, then burned off, and I was grateful for that because dead ahead of me on my present course lies the Capital of Canada Ottawa. There was no way to avoid it.

It was Sunday morning so it shouldn’t be too bad, and it wasn’t, but like most major cities it has its share of road construction going on, and a huge light rail Project  that will run in the center of the highway, to the Costco’s at the east and west end of town. I saw the Costco’s to late to pull off and fill up, but I actually did okay on gas today filling up at Canadian Tire for only $1.56 per liter, and that works out to just about $5.77 per gallon. I have paid as much as $1.79 per liter, and I don’t even want to know what that is in gallons.

After Ottawa something happened. I must have fallen asleep, after somehow getting the van on a ship, because I woke up in France.


'
ARRET This Means You!

Unlike the rest of Canada that has traffic signs in both English and French here in Québec, they are French, and so  everything will be in  French, and I think I saw more English signs in France than Quebec.  I was surprised when the fellow at the campground accepted Canadian currency instead of Euro’s . They are so French here that say the ancient  French had used only Roman numerals, that they would have called French numerals, all the highway signs would look like XC KPH .

I should be okay though. I know about 5 words in French, one I just learned the other day that Club Soda in French is Soda Club


French Is Easy

My extensive French vocabulary also includes:

Bonjour, Au revoir,  Chateau St Michael,  serviette , maître d hotel, and Tu es un connard.

Connards

The people have all been very nice, especially if you start off speaking Spanish, then go English, eh?

While staring at the map the other night I noticed that there were ferries that crossed the Saint Lawrence seaway. Having never seen the Saint Lawrence I thought I would have a look, and since I’m good with ships, why not cross the darn thing.

Googling the trip, I came across the Saint Simeon, to Du Loup trip. I never really did find a schedule but the web page said  2 to 4 departures per day from April to January. Well, that should work. Its September after all, so I headed northeast to Saint Simeon

Never did I realize that there were so many saints to name things after here in Quebec.  We in Alaska have a lot of catching up to naming things after saints, as the only one I can think of is our Saint stevens  Anchorage, airport, and the futile attempt I hope to name the port after Saint young. And if you think about  it Since don was so adamantly opposed to socialized health care except for him and other members of congress, we really should be changing the name of Providence to Saint young hospital.

Motoring into Saint 4568 (on this side of the river alone) I noticed out on the water a boat that I suspected was the ferry. I had planned to stay the night on this side of the river, but then I thought that if that is the ferry I’m crossing.

My next issue was finding the ferry terminal since all the signs are in French. Google as always knew the way and took me right to a street with a  big blue sign with a arrow that had a picture of a boat on it.

Eureka. Sure, enough cars were lined up for the crossing.

Queueing Up For The Ferry

A young official looking fellow sized up the van with a name, took out his tape measure and sure enough we are 6.7 meters long. I thought we were only 6.1  meters in Vancouver, but we grew a bit, I guess…

 










 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


1 comment: