Sunday, April 2, 2023

Would You Like Salt With Your Sewer Hose

 

The other day I did some camper van cooking, making one of the house favorites, Shake & Bake chicken. I served it with mash potatoes, with green peas. Another specialty of the house. Before plating I went to my spice cabinet and much to my surprise my salt and pepper grinders were gone. Another victim of the break-in. it was amusing though that just the salt and pepper were missing. Not the garlic powder, not the red pepper, not even the paprika. I guess my thief’s are not skilled in the culinary arts.

A Little Salt And Pepper

We are heading south for a bit today before heading east, and a run over Stevens Pass. Stevens pass was not my first choice for this run but  highway 20 through the North Cascades National park is still closed due to winter, and the park service web site says the road might not be open until late June.  

We took one last look at the near by tulip fields, but nothing had bloomed overnight.

Tulip Fields From My 2021 Visit

We had a short run-on highway Cinco to Everett and picked up highway 2 . just a bit of traffic through the cities of Snohomish, and Monroe. One of my favorite ice creams is made here.  Snoqualmie and when we looked at their website last night we learned that just like highway 20 the ice cream shop was closed until memorial  day

Moseying along at 55 mph the on-board computer was indicating 15 mpg. Not bad for a F 350

Climbing up the western slope of the Cascades I pulled into the delightful town of Skykomish.

Skykomish A Must Stop On Highway 20

Skykomish used to be a major stop on the Great Northern Railroad for crews and passengers. Most of the building are from that era, and with the warm sunshine it was quite delightful to stretch our legs walking on the old boardwalk.

Rocky A Important Part Of Great Northern 

Down on the corner is a coffee shop. Sky River Coffee. I was thinking a coffee about now might be really good, so we walked right in.

Sky River Coffee

We were greeted by the most delightful woman. Little did I know that she was also a highly skilled barista. My pal ordered a brewed coffee, and I figured why not be disappointed by another bitter espresso, but I ordered a double espresso anyway.

She pulled a couple of shots, and I asked for a little half and half. She very slowly pored the dairy into my drink and said she didn’t want to ruin the crema. I thought Humm this espresso might be not too bad.

We sat down with a muffin to share. I took a sip and tasted the most delicious espresso I have ever had in the lower 48. It was as smooth, and tasty as Kaladi. I should have ordered a quad shot!

Back on the road we resumed our climb to the 4062’ summit of Stevens Pass. Out the window I noticed that there was more and more snow along the side of the road. Soon the snow was higher than the van, and I remembered that the purpose of the trip was because I was tired of looking at snow.

At the summit there is a huge ski resort, that was busy. We watched as we drove by people sliding down the steep slopes. Obviously not everyone is tired of looking at snow.

Fortunately  we started descending down the eastern side of the Cascades, and at every turn the snow level was diminishing.

It wasn’t long before we were out of the snow completely and were pulling into the Bavarian Themed town of Leavenworth.

The Alps?

None of the parking in this tourist town is free, and it took some splaning from a parking police on how to pay for just a couple of hours instead of the entire day.

It was a little cooler here than back in Skykomish but was still a pleasant walk through town. No oom- pa band was playing in the bandstand but piped in oom-pa music was playing almost everywhere. We ate delicious bratwurst and drove just down the road to a KOA for the night.

 Unfortunately the camps pool and hot tub were closed for the season.

No Open Water In The Camps Pool







 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment