Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Didn't Get Far

It got into the 30’s last night in Missoula, but it didn’t matter because I remembered how to set the thermostat. Its really easy. All you have to do is spin the dial until the image of the van comes up, then push the button, and the van image blinks. Then all you have to do is spin the dial to the desired temperature and stay comfy. At least I think that’s how I did it. It will be cold again tonight so I will get another opportunity.

This Thing Warms You Up As You Try To Figure Out How To Turn On The Heat

Costco gas was closed this morning when I pulled in, but down the street I found primo 87 octane for only $3.24

The plan was to venture to Lolo hot springs, secure a spot in the RV park, and enjoy the day in the springs. Lolo was only 30 miles away on highway 97 then 12. 12 is the road over Lolo pass, and the springs are before the pass, which is a good thing as I don’t want to go over that pass today.

They were just opening for the day when I arrived. The pool house is the office this time of year , so I went in to check things out. The pools were gnarly. And that would have been okay except the RV park was across the highway, and of the few sights that were actually accessible, you could choose from parking on ice, and snow or mud. There might have been power, but no water or sewer.

Lolo Hot Springs Looks Like Winter To Me

I thought about staying but camping on ice or mud really didn’t appeal to me so back down highway 12 to 97.

9096 Tall Lolo Peak

I thought I would have better luck not having snow by going south, and for a while that plan was working out.

I always like to stop at these historical marker signs. It was always difficult to do on bikes because a lot of the pull offs are gravel, and not level. But I pulled into several today.

This Sign Gave Up On Being Vertical

And even brewed up a cup of espresso on my shiny espresso pot at this historical site.

Everything with not having any snow was still going good until I started climbing up 7014 ft Loss Trail Pass. The higher I went the more snow there was. Soon the snow was higher than the van. At least the road was clear and dry. 

Coming down the south side of the pass where the sun had shown on the snow for most of the day, there started to be several snow rolls that looked like large white snails that had rolled down the hill. Interesting I thought. Further along on coming cars were blinking their lights, and one lady was holding her arm out the window motioning SLOW DOWN and blinking her lights. Dang, I thought, there must be a accident, or a Idaho witch burning right on the highway. Either way I’m heading right towards it.

Down the road I found the reason. Two small avalanches had slid down. The first one was only blocking one lane, my lane, but it was easy to get around. The second one had covered both lanes but had been driven over several time. It was a tight fit though with the guard rail.


It Was A Tight Fit But We Made It Unscathed

I blinked my lights at a couple of cars to alert them of the impending doom but gave up after I saw the plow heading to the scene.  

Finally, out of the snow I found a  Forest Service wayside, along the Snake River,  where I pulled in and dry camped for the night. Goose was busy making lots of noise, and my bird app identified a Kestrel but I never saw it.

American Kestrel I Need To Photograph One Of These To Add To My Bird List

 Sandhill Cranes were loud and close, I never saw them either.  My batteries worked perfectly and I even watched a movie  on the tvee before going to bed.

 









No comments:

Post a Comment