Sunday, September 18, 2022

Blacked Out By The Astronomy Club

 Crossing eastern Montana, you see a lot of hay. Some of it is just growing. Some of it is cut and raked, and some of it is rolled up in big Costco size rolls.

Lots Of Hay Around Here

You also see lots of deer and pronghorn Antelope, always by the road or not so far off of it. Makes you wonder why with all of Montana to run around in why they would hang out by the road. My only answer is they are suicidal. Actually, there was less roadkill here than back around Lake  Flathead. But then there are more trees there, and this is pretty open country.

I was heading to Miles City but around Jordan I was getting tired so I pulled in, had a stretch, and though wouldn’t it be nice if there was a RV park here. So rather than look at the sign a few feet away I googled RV parks near me and sure enough there was one in less than .1 of a mile.

The old Dorm is pretty basic. Has full hookups and for only $30.00 it is a bargain.

Its Old School At Old Dorm

I didn’t bother with hook ups as I didn’t really want to lay in the gravel to connect the hose, and I had plenty of water and battery power. Only one other very large RV pulled in, so it was a peaceful night.

The van with no name came with a little sticker on the window, with its last oil change information on it. As the mileage was approaching, I called a couple of places in Miles City, and the fellow at Notbohm Motors said if I could be there by 10, he could get me in. I was only 80 miles away so that was totally doable

The Fellow Said "If It Fits In The Door They Will Work On It

Being used to getting service on motor bikes specifically Harley Davidson motor bikes I blocked out the entire day for service and went to the bank to get a line of credit to pay for the thing.

Much to my surprise they had the van serviced in about 1 ½ hours. Showed me samples of the vans vital fluids that they had put in little test tubes. All the fluids were pristine, and I had new oil & filter, for a whopping price of $89.00. I wanted to pay them more money as a service like this on a bike would be at least $200. But all they wanted was the $89.00 They didn’t wash it though. Bastards.

Since I had the rest of the day, and Trones had called to tell me she got the new covid shot at Safeway from our friend the produce fellow. Well, there is a Albertsons here and since I needed to do some shopping anyway, I went over and inquired about the new covid vaccine. They had it, and they also had the Tetanus vaccine that I was several years and a couple of rusty nails late on. After filling out several forms, and a call to Joe Namath for health care and zip code verification everything was set, all I had to do was bear my arm and pay $50.00 for the co pay. The produce guy was busy slicing open boxes of living lettuce, but a very nice woman who I think was connected to the pharmacy came out, called my name, sat me down on a chair behind a little screen, that really didn’t need to be there as I could see everyone in the store, and they could see me. But she stuck me in both arms. Put little bandages over the wounds she inflected and sent me on my way

I went and bought a slice of cake. I deserved it.

There isn’t much in Miles city. A nice park that I walked around in and took a photo of the water tower, because who can resist taking a photo of a water tower?

Miles City And Finally Some Blue Sky

Into the KOA. Very clean showers. I’m liking these KOA’s.  I purged my tanks and filled up on water as I was going to Teddy Roosevelt National park in the morning.

It wasn’t very far to the TR National park, and the nice ranger let me in for free once I showed her my card. She said camp sights were at a premium, so I better go to Cottonwood Camp first and secure a spot.
 I stopped along the way though to watch the wild horses come down the hill.


TR's Wild Horses

After the horses I skedaddled up the hill to the camp and was greeted by the host. A very nice fellow who has been to Alaska twice I think, and anyway we chatted, and he said the reason the camp was so full was that the Astronomy Club was here for some celestial investigation. I told him that I don’t think they will have much luck as for about 110  miles out  the thick smoke that was obscuring the sky was now mixed with fog, and it wasn’t looking good for watching the night sky.

Now the National Parks are just about the best deal going. Free admission if you have a senior pass, and camping is ½ off what ever the price is for that park. Here it was $14.00 per night, so it cost me $7.00

There are no RV hookups, but you are in a pristine place, and the van with no name is set up for dry camping.

Later in the day after walking around I went back to the van to make dinner. I had some chicken Shake & Bake and a convection oven that I watched a u tube video on, on how to operate.

It all worked and after about 25 minutes, the chicken was done. The potatoes were done. It was some darn good Camper Van Cooking. It was so good that I just put the dishes in the sink, to do in the morning, and started on some other chores.

Little Missouri River In Roosevelt National Park

It was later on while streaming Oregon PBS Oregon Experience I noticed that the LSD lights were not as bright as usual. When I went over to the control panel the batteries were down to about 25% and because of the overcast there was only about .1 amp coming from the solar panels.

I unplugged everything. The only thing that remained running was the refrigerator, but I thought everything would be okay.

When I got up at 2:00 am to look around everything was dark. The batteries were at 0. There was no reading on the control panel, and the other panel for lights and other things was completely dark too.

I tried to go back to sleep for a bit, but I was giving myself panic attacks wondering if the van would start, what if it didn’t on and on.

By 3:00 am by my phone I had to act. I needed koffee, and the pot I needed to boil water in was in the sink dirty, and without power, the pump ain’t gonna work.

After considering my options I implemented “Plan B” I stealthy walked over to the camps faucet and filled up jet boil. Back at the van I made Koffee. Strong Koffee.

I knew if the van would start, I could motor down to the visitor center, use the generator, make breakfast, and maybe more strong koffee, and then be on my way.

At 4:00 am by my phone I got in the driver’s seat inserted the key and the van roared to life.

Now all I had to do was back out of this tight space and not hit anything or wake anyone up.  After backing out of the camp site, I was now faced the wrong way on the road, but if I didn’t wake anyone, then no one would notice. I crept out of the campground, and once on the road I headed to the visitor center, where it dawned on me that the only way to start the generator was from the control panel that was dark. Oh well no worries.

At the visitor center I touched the control panel, and it lit up. I started the generator  it sounded  very loud. I made breakfast, washed All the dishes, and made the van ready for the road.

It was still very dark out, so I checked google for sunrise at my location. Google said 6:30 by my phone that was in about 45 minutes, but outside no sunrise was happening anytime soon. I think that is when I noticed that the time on the laptop was one hour earlier than my phone. That’s when I discovered that my phone wasn’t set up to change time zones. No wonder it was so dark out, and so when I left the camp at 4:00 am it was really 3:00. I hope I didn’t wake anyone up, or run over a tent. 

I shut down the noisy generator, and watched the deer browse around the visitor center, and when the sun did rise at 6:30 I was ready to roll.

The reason I waited was because of deer on the highway in the early morning, and sure enough a few miles down the road one, and then, another two seconds  later another jumped out in front of me. Had I been doing the highway speed limit of 70, I would have hit at least one, but because cruising at  55 I get 16 miles per gallon, and  I missed them both.

 





 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment