Sunday, April 8, 2018

The Eastern Fidget


 
The other day I boarded a Virgin Air, Air Bus bound for Fort Lauderdale Florida. I guess Air Bus was the only name the creators could come up, for their jet,  but it certainly lacks that ring that Boing, or Piper, or even De Haviland have to them.  What is amazing is that the Air Bus is just as crowded, and uncomfortable as a Boing. Its as if the Air Bus creators tried to make the craft just as shabby as their nearest competitor.

The Virgin on board wait staff has a long ways to go to compete with their new parent company Alaska Air. As I found out from the waitress, before she shunned me for my lack of Virgin cabin etiquette, the only way order food or drink was to use the electronic devise that is built into every chair back. Who knew? And who knew that you don’t get a free drink in the premier seats, like on Alaska.

The best part of the ride has to be when I got up to use the toilet.  Returning to my exclusive premier seat the fellow that had been in the middle seat had claimed my isle seat for himself, he was even sitting on my book Exit West. I asked him if he thought I got off at the last stop? He mumbled something in a language I don’t understand and begrudgingly crawled over to his seat, he then only fidgeted for the rest of the five-hour flight.  Ahh good old air travel.
 

My traveling compadre was awaiting me in the baggage area, and it wasn’t long until the ships horn sounded, and the baggage started making the rounds on its carousal My bag was prompt, and once outside the terminal it was only a brief exposure to second hand smoke, and vehicle fumes, until we boarded our taxi and headed to the Riverside Hotel.


The Riverside is by far the best hotel I have stayed at in Fort Lauderdale. It is located right on East Las Olas boulevard, and that location is next to the river walk, and close to the beach. The Boulevard is packed with small shops, and even a top-notch shoe store, that just by browsing convinced me that I needed another pair, to bring my journey total up to five pairs of shoes. Hope they all fit for the homebound leg.   

crocs not real shoes
 

There is almost a restaurant on every corner so finding good food on the Boulevard was an easy task.

 
 
On our full day in Lauderdale, and for only a dollar, we rode the city bus to the beach and stumbled on more excellent food at a little corner shop called Casa Blanca.

 On the return we missed the city bus, buy a few minutes, but were able for another $1.00 to catch a ride on a shuttle bus, that was made to look like a cable car from San Francisco, but lacked the bell, and the grip to ring it. If you want a real cable car ride go to the city!

 
But if you want a floating outboard motor powered tiki bar then Florida is where you want to be.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment